Congratulations — graduates! We look forward to helping guide you through a lifetime of career transitions. Recent graduates often don’t realize that they can still benefit from the Career Center.
Alumni Career Services is pleased to offer alumni a variety of career services, tools and resources to help make more informed lifelong career decisions. Whether recently graduated, looking to enhance skills and training, or making a career change, we are here to help!
Here are 3 ways to ensure a smooth transition, from student to alumni, while continuing to work with the Career Center on your career goals:
(1) Make sure you can still access your Handshake account. Handshake is the SBU Career Center’s database of entry-level and experienced full-time jobs, volunteer positions and more. Features also include an employer directory and events calendar.
Please Note: Your Stony Brook email is expiring soon (in November), CLICK HERE to let us know if you would like to keep your Handshake account or have it archived.
Follow these steps to ensure your Handshake account is working properly.
STEP 1: Visit https://stonybrook.joinhandshake.com. Enter the email address you will be using for this account. If you have an active .edu email address, please try this email first.
- If you do not have an account with the email you entered, you will need to sign up by clicking “I’m a student or Alumni.”
- If you aren’t registering with a .edu email address, a career services staff member will need to approve your account before you gain access to Handshake.
- If you have an Email for Life account, the approval process will be much faster. If you continue to have trouble logging in to Handshake, contact email@example.com.
(2) Learn how to leverage Alumni Career Services: We provide in-person, Google Hangout chat or phone appointments to help you define a career path, research career options, conduct mock interviews, review your resume and cover letters, and begin a job search or target employers in a specific industry. Learn how to schedule an appointment through Handshake. How to Request an Appointment.
2 Minute Training Video: How to Search for and Apply for Jobs
Do you have a quick question about your resume or cover letter? Feel stuck or need some motivation to get back on track with your job search?
On select Thursdays, from 10am – 12pm, connect with the alumni career counselor and ask your career and/or professional development questions via Google Hangouts. Duration of virtual chat: 15-20 minutes. View dates through Handshake.
(3) Grow with us! Are you in a job and looking to further develop your career skills? We can help with that, too! Click here to learn more about the tools we have to help you grow within your career.
There may be many things we don’t have control over in life, but NOT having career coaching support isn’t one of them. The Stony Brook University Career Center is here to support you through your career transitions.
Learn more: Alumni Career Services.
— Nikki Barnett