Dean Tufts, Vice President for Facilities and Services, has issued a message to students, faculty and staff concerning transportation and parking. The message reads as follows:
Welcome back to campus!
To ensure a safe and productive academic year, Stony Brook’s Department of Transportation & Parking has established the following actions and procedures:
Specific to student shuttle service
- All riders (and drivers) are required to wear a face covering
- Shuttle occupancy is reduced to 19 riders (down from 50)
- Shuttle seating is limited to window seats only and is clearly marked for availability
- Plexi partitions have been installed on shuttle seat backs and behind the driver
- Face shields have been provided to drivers for an added layer of protection during boarding
- Disembarking riders will exit through the rear door
- Once all disembarking riders have exited, oncoming riders will then enter through the front door; drivers will ensure no more than 19 riders at a time
- Social distancing signage is posted on all shuttles and within shelters
- Hand sanitizer stations are installed in all shuttles and within major shelters
- All shuttles are sanitized each day at the end of their shift
For shuttle information including routes and the updated shuttle map, please visit stonybrook.edu/shuttle.
Specific to parking
To ensure commuter students can get from the South P lot into main campus with only 19 riders per shuttle, we have limited the number of South P parking spaces to 1,000… down from the existing 2,550 parking spaces. These 1,000 commuter parking spaces are clearly marked, and located in the northern section of the South P lot closest to South Drive.
To compensate for the decrease in commuter parking at South P, while ensuring ample parking for Faculty/Staff (F/S), we have reassigned the following parking lots:
- Tabler lot is reassigned from F/S to Commuter
- Island Federal Arena metered lot is reassigned to Commuter (meters in this lot will not be enforced)
- Gym Road lot is only Commuter (F/S portion is encumbered by a field hospital tent)
- Stadium lot is now exclusively F/S; there is no longer Premium Student parking on campus
- Heavy Engineering metered lot is reassigned to F/S (meters in this lot will not be enforced)
To ensure parking is available for those properly permitted, we will begin enforcing all pay metered lots and permitted lots (as shown on the August 2020 parking map) starting Monday, August 24, 2020.
For parking information including the Fall Parking & Transportation Plan, permits, and the August 2020 parking map, please visit stonybrook.edu/parking.
Thank you for wearing your masks, practicing social distancing, and washing/sanitizing your hands often … for everyone’s safety.