Working with the Office of Media Relations
The Office of Media Relations is responsible for communicating information regarding Stony Brook University’s achievements, student awards and stories, faculty research, programs, economic development and campus events to the local, regional, national, and international news media. The staff also responds to daily media requests for information and faculty experts. The Media Relations staff also works closely with University Police to facilitate external communications in emergency situations.
Responding to Reporter Inquiries
The Office of Media Relations is always available to respond to inquiries from the news media, including student reporters. The Media Relations staff responds rapidly to media requests and to help facilitate with efficiency, is recommended that reporters send an email to the appropriate contact and include the following detail:
- Contact information including phone number where you can be reached
- Publication or class (for students)
- Potential questions to which you seek answers (these advance questions assist staff in identifying the appropriate University resource to respond to the inquiry.)
Reporters with inquiries for the Stony Brook University Hospital, School of Medicine and the Health Sciences, such as the need for medical experts, should contact the Stony Brook Medicine Media Relations Office at 631-444-7880. Please click on this link for more specific guidelines about working with University Hospital.
Reporters seeking information on Stony Brook Athletics, contact the Athletics Communications Office at 631-632-7289.
It is strongly recommended that reporters, photographers, and video crews seeking access to any Stony Brook University campus be escorted by a representative of the Media Relations Office. Please contact us at 631-632-6310 or 631-444-7880 for the Stony Brook Medicine campus to arrange access to University facilities.
Services for Reporters
The Office of Media Relations provides the following services to members of the media:
- Information about Stony Brook University and its experts
- Interview logistical support, such as scheduling and facilitating interviews with faculty experts
- On-campus studio bookings for live or taped interviews
- Revocable permits for video crews seeking to film on campus
- Photos and b-roll footage of the Stony Brook campuses
For the Stony Brook University Community
- Development and distribution of press materials for news announcements and upcoming events
- Pitching faculty experts
- Interview preparation, such as scheduling and facilitating interviews with media
- Media training sessions
- On-campus studio booking for live or taped interviews
Contact the Office of Media Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 631-632-6310 for more information.
Freedom of Information: Reporters are free to file an open records request, but staff in the media relations office is often able to help you more by having a conversation. When filing an open records request, it must be submitted to Stony Brook University Records Access Officer – more information here.
Privacy Laws — Where student privacy is concerned, the Media Relations staff is permitted only to release “directory information,” which generally consists of:
- Local Address
- Local telephone number
- Degrees and awards received
- Program of study (including college of enrollment and major)
- Dates of attendance
- Participation in recognized activities or sports
- Enrollment status (e.g., full-time, part-time, withdrawn)
- Date of graduation
For Students: Help us maintain credibility with administration. Please do not reach out to or call multiple staff members on a single story.
Stony Brook University Newsroom
SUNY Media & Branding Resources