During a fire, seconds count! Even during this pandemic, we must practice fire safety and conduct fire drills in accordance with NYS Fire Code and the NYS Education Law.
Our campus Fire Marshals will be conducting fire drills from now through mid-November in all campus buildings and residential facilities. Here are a few important safety reminders to ensure a quick, safe and orderly evacuation of our buildings in the event of an emergency:
- Upon hearing a fire alarm, all persons should exit the building without delay, just as you normally would.
- Wear your face coverings and maintain social distance as you leave.
- Take only your keys, ID, purse/wallet, etc.
- Evacuate and close your door behind you.
- Use the nearest exit or stairwell to leave the building. Do not use the elevator.
- Once outside, move at least 25 feet away from the building.
- Try to maintain at least 6 feet of distance from others while outside and keep your face covering on.
- Do not re-enter the building until cleared by a Fire Marshal, Safety Warden, Police Officer or other University Official.
- When returning to your class, workstation or residence, please continue to maintain social distance.
Please visit the Emergency Evacuation website or use the links below to review additional specific evacuation instructions. If you have any questions about the fire drills, please contact the Fire Marshal’s office at 2-9678.
Fire Alarms and Evacuation Safety Guide
Evacuation Guide for People with Physical Disabilities