The Seawolves advanced to the second round of the 2017 NCAA Division I Football Championship by running an offensive clinic on visiting Lehigh, racking up more than 600 yards of total offense and six touchdowns in a 59-29 win Saturday in Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.
Stony Brook (10-2, 7-1 CAA Football) advances to face top-seeded James Madison next Saturday in Harrisonburg, Va. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. ET. Tickets will be available at 10 a.m. Monday. Nov. 27, by contacting the Seawolves Ticket Office 631-632-WOLF.
“I’m really excited for the program and for Stony Brook University,” said Head Coach Chuck Priore.”To win a playoff game and to win it in the fashion that we won it in is exciting. This is a credit to how hard these guys work.”
- Stony Brook cracked the scoreboard first on the second play of the second half when RB Donald Liotine took it in the end zone from two yards out. The PAT by PK Nick Courtney was good. The drive was six plays for 46 yards.
- Lehigh tied it up on the ensuing possession when QB Brad Mayes found WR Gatlin Casey with a two-yard pass. The PAT by PK Ed Mish was good, The drive was eight plays for 71 yards.
- PK Nick Courtney nailed a 28-yard field goal with 8:37 left in the second quarter to give the Seawolves the lead. The drive was 10 plays for 73 yards.
- The Seawolves added to their lead when RB Stacey Bedell scored from five yards out with 4:05 left in the second quarter. The PAT by PK Nick Courtney was good. The drive was eight plays for 59 yards.
- RB Jordan Gowins added to the Stony Brook lead with a one-yard run with 3:10 left in the second quarter. The PAT by Nick Courtney was good. The drive was five plays for 29 yards and started when LB Isaiah White recovered a muffed kickoff by Lehigh.
- Lehigh edged closer with a five-yard pass from QB Brad Mayes to WR Troy Pelletier with 1:25 left in the half. The PAT by PK Ed Mish. The drive was nine plays for 78 yards.
- Stony Brook opened the second half with a 40-yard touchdown catch and run by TE Cal Daniels from QB Joe Carbone. The PAT by Nick Courtney was good. The drive was two plays for 70 yards.
- RB Donald Liotine scored from 12 yards out with 12:03 left in the third quarter to add to the Seawolves’ lead. The PAT by Nick Courtney was good. The drive was three plays for 47 yards.
- Lehigh scored on the final play of the third quarter when QB Brad Mayes tossed a nine-yard pass to TB Dom Bragalone. The PAT by Ed Mish was good. The drive was seven plays for 49 yards.
- The Mountain Hawks QB Matt Timochenko scored on a one-yard run with 11:45 left in the fourth quarter. The two-point conversion was successful. The drive was 11 plays for 74 yards.
- RB Jordan Gowins scored his second touchdown of the game on a 15-yard run with 5:11 remaining in the fourth quarter. The PAT by Nick Courtney was good. The drive was six plays for 46 yards.
- Stony Brook capped the scoring with a 47-yard run by RB Sherman Alston Jr. with 2:44 left in the game. The PAT by Nick Courtney was good. The drive was two plays for 50 yards.
- Stony Brook gained 622 yards of total offense on 78 plays. Lehigh had 452 yards of total offense on 78 plays.
- The Seawolves had the ball for 29:31 minutes of the game.
- PASSING: Stony Brook 13-29-0 for 268 yards, 2 touchdowns. Lehigh: 34-50-0 for 339 yards, 3 touchdowns.
- RUSHING: Stony Brook: 49 carries for 354 yards, 6 touchdown. Lehigh: 32 carries for 129 yards, 1 touchdown.
- Stony Brook QB Joe Carbone was 13-29-0 passing for 268 yards and two touchdowns.
- WR Harrison Jackson had three receptions for 122 yards and one touchdown.
- RB Donald Liotine gained 133 yards on 17 carries with two touchdown.
- DB Gavin Heslop collected 12 tackles, while DB Chris Cooper had 11 and DB Travon Reid-Segure added 10 stops.