The Stony Brook volleyball team defeated Albany in three sets (25-12, 25-20, 25-11) Sunday afternoon. The Seawolves improve to 17-8, and the Great Danes fall to 14-9 on the season.
Coach Belzung’s Reaction
“This was obviously a big match for our team and to see us come in focused and locked in made for a fun match. Defensively I thought we made Albany uncomfortable, and that allowed us to get some good offensive opportunities. We also did a great job putting pressure on them from the service line. Looking forward to closing out on the road and proud of the team for earning the right to host the America East Championship the following weekend.”
By the Numbers vs. Albany
– Junior Jordan Gels (Lewis Center, OH) led the way with nine kills.
– Senior McKyla Brooks (Blasdell, NY), junior Maria Poole (Stavanger, Norway) and junior Kendra Harlow (St. James, NY) all notched eight kills.
– Graduate Emily Costello (Webster, NY) ended the match leading the team with 18 digs.
– Junior LeAnne Sakowicz (Wauconda, IL) tallied 33 assists in the victory.
– The Seawolves are now 14-32 all-time against the Great Danes.
– The team is now 10-0 against the America East in 2018.
– Stony Brook continued its winning streak by making it 13 in a row, which is a program record as Division I.
– With the victory the Seawolves clinched the #1 seed for the postseason, and at least a share of the regular season title.
Stony Brook looks to win its 14th straight Friday, when the team travels to UMBC at 7 pm.
View original article on Stony Brook Seawolves.